Chinese Studies Master Scholarship
Master of Contemporary Chinese Studies
The Master of Contemporary Chinese Studies Program at Renmin University Silk Road School (SRS) is a key measure of Renmin University of China (RUC) to actively support the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) in an educational context. Based on RUC's educational platform, international experience and the resources of a group of high-level experts, SRS is dedicated to training scholars and leaders for countries throughout the BRI who are passionate about China, who are well studied in key aspects of Chinese culture, and who deeply understand China's development path, approach and goals.
Adhering to a global strategic perspective, bringing together global political leaders, business elites and outstanding faculties, the program provides students with a comprehensive learning experience in China through core competitive professional courses, lectures by famous scholars, high-level forums, visits to well-known companies, as well as various cultural visits.
Silk Road School offers different types of scholarships for successful applicants, including full scholarship and partial scholarship.
- Overseas applicants must have foreign nationalities recognized by the Chinese government. Applicants with dual nationality must register with the nationality on the application form.
- Applicants must have a bachelor's degree or higher (granted by August 31, 2022).
- Applicants must be fluent in English. Minimum English proficiency scores are IELTS 6.5 or TOEFL 90. Graduating from an English program or majoring in English may also qualify.
- Applicants must submit two letters of recommendation.
Complete the online application at the Renmin University of China International Student Registration System website (http://international.ruc.edu.cn/application). In the site, you can read the instructions for completing your application materials and uploading the necessary materials, make sure all information is true. Once completed, you must submit all materials to the office for initial review. You also need to pay the application fee (RMB 800) which is not refundable.
- Application form (print it after registering and signing online).
- Copy of Bachelor's or higher degree (original copy or notarized copy in English), or expected graduation certificate.
- Original academic transcripts (documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be accompanied by Chinese or English translations and notarized documents).
- Two recent 2-inch passport photos on a white background.
- Copy of the national passport (the expiration date must be after March 31, 2022).
- Two letters of recommendation in English with the referral's signature and contact information.
- Personal statement (at least 1000 words in English, indicating study and work experience, motivation to apply, academic research achievements, study and research plans, career goals, etc.).
- Current CV.
- Physical examination form for foreigners: the examination must be completed within one month (the absence of the requested item, personal photo and seal on photos, doctor's signature and official seal are invalid).
- Proof of funding (not less than 30,000 RMB in total; bank statement or income certificate).
- Receipt of application fee payment.
- Copies of published academic articles along with abstracts, awards received or other research results; (Optional).
- Copies of other original research (optional).
- Personal video clip (optional).
About the application
- All documents must be in English, notarized English translations must be submitted with the original documents.
- Applicants must submit all of the above materials online.
- Foreigner Physical Examination Form Model and letter of guarantee: http://iso.ruc.edu.cn/ENGLISH/Download/ApplicationDocuments/index.htm
- Online application deadline: April 30, 2023
- Online interview: from May to June 2023
- Letters of admission: July 2023
- Semester begins: September 2023
The following specializations are available in the program:
- Chinese politics
- Chinese economy
- Chinese culture
- Chinese law
The following is a selection of the courses available.
- China Studies and Development
- China Policy Investing in China and its legal requirements
- Development studies and developing countries
- Seminar on the Belt and Road Initiative
- Seminar on China Studies
- China and Global Governance
- Political economy of development
- Technological revolution and world politics
- Chinese Economic Studies: Reform and Policy
- Chinese language courses
Duration and location
The program is two years full-time in Suzhou City, Jiangsu Province of China Silk Road School, Renmin University of China Address: No.158 Ren'ai Road, Dushulake District of Higher Education, Suzhou, Jiangsu Province, China
Contact Tel.: 86-010-62516305 * 8206
Contact information in Costa Rica
Contact for more information / 联系方式：
Rodrigo Martínez (罗瑞高)
Communication Officer Confucius Institute (孔子学院传媒负责人)
Website (网页): http://institutoconfucio.ucr.ac.cr/
Telephone (电话): 2511-6870
Online Applications (Before April 30, 2022): http://srs.ruc.edu.cn/
Life at Silk Road School for your reference
1. 2019.12.31, 2020 Silk Road School New Year Celebration
2. 2019.12.30, Students of SRS Visited Yiwu City
3. 2019.09.12, The Opening Ceremony of Silk Road School(2019-2020)
4. 2019.05.31, The first BRI Global Mentor Project launches in Beijing
5. 2019.11.23, Students of SRS Visited the 2019 Yangtze River Delta International Cultural Industries Expo
On March 9 2017, the Global Governance Research Center in Renmin University of China was established. It is a program supported by the education fund donated to Renmin University of China by Ms. Ma Lin, President of Beijing Jufeng Jinkong Technology CO., LTD. The center is operated by the Chongyang Institute for Financial Studies of Renmin University of China (RDCY), under the leadership of Mr. He Yafei, former Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs of China, senior member of RDCY, and Ms. Zhang Yanling, Former Executive Vice President of Bank of China, Executive Director of ICC and Senior Fellow of RDCY served as Chairman of the center's academic board. The center aims to build a global governance platform for high-level exchange of ideas, issue high-quality global governance research reports, and strive to practice the think tank's mission of advising policymakers, illustrating to the public, plan strategies and nurture talent.
In January 2018, the Global Governance Research Center at Renmin University of China was ranked among the 'Top 90 Think Tanks in China, India, Japan and the Republic of Korea' by the prestigious "Global Governance Tank Index Report 2017", published by the Think Tanks Program and Civil Societies Program (TTSCP) at the University of Pennsylvania.