FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. I am not a student at the University of Costa Rica. Can I enroll?
Yes, the courses are open, so anyone, even if they are not a UCR student, can study with us.
2. Who are we?
The Confucius Institute of the University of Costa Rica (IC-UCR) is a public institution formed by the University of Costa Rica, the Chinese International Education Foundation (CIEF) (former Hanban), the Center for Education and Linguistic Cooperation (CLEC) (former Hanban) in collaboration with Renmin University of China (RUC).
We are part of a network of more than 600 Confucius Institutes and Confucius Classrooms in the world, becoming a platform for cultural exchanges between China and the world.
3. What is the total cost of the course?
Single tuition fee per course, no additional registration is charged.
COURSES WITH SCHEDULES IN THE MORNING AND AFTERNOON FROM MONDAY TO FRIDAY:
• Ordinary Tuition Price: ¢76,500
• Extraordinary Tuition Price: *¢84,150
* Surcharge of 10%
COURSES WITH SATURDAY AND NIGHT SCHEDULES:
• Ordinary Tuition Price: ¢80,000
• Extraordinary Tuition Price: *¢88,000
* Surcharge of 10%
*Sending the books through Correos de Costa Rica has an additional cost of ¢3,500
4. How can I enroll?
Various means of payment are offered to you, such as:
- Through online registration.
- Payment in cash at our facilities.
- Bank deposit, in the Banco Nacional account number: 100-01-000-140077-9, with the detail: Project 2444-01, your name, surname and course to enroll
- Transfer to the client account in colones 15100010011400776 or in dollars to the account 15100010026037353, indicate in detail: Project 2444-01, your name, surname and course to enroll; then you can send the receipt to our email email@example.com
- Debit or credit cards (American Express cards are not accepted).
5. What are the requirements to enroll?
La matrícula es abierta al PÚBLICO EN GENERAL con:
- Registration is open to the GENERAL PUBLIC with:
- Minimum age of 14** years, any youth under this age must bring a letter of responsibility. (You can download it on the page or you can request it by mail to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Submit a passport size photograph in digital format (jpeg, pdf, png, etc). (Required for freshmen). and send it to the email: email@example.com
- Photocopy of the identity card on both sides on a single page. (Required for first-time students) and send it to the email: firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Do you learn to write in characters in the classes?
Yes, in regular courses from the first level students learn Chinese characters; as well as the 4 learning skills reading, writing, speaking and listening.
7. How do I excuse absences?
When there is an impediment to attend classes, students have two options: (1) accept the absence as unexcused or (2) justify the absence when you have the proper documentation. In order to excuse the absence, the student must:
- Fill out the justification slip for absences at reception within the established period. You can also send the form electronically to the email: email@example.com
B) And attach the supporting document (medical examination or other) of said situation.
The following are justifiable cases:
- Disabling illness that is proven by some certificate or account for medical expenses in the name of the student, a special situation such as university exams scheduled at the beginning of the semester according to the course program. (Personal trips or work reasons do not count valid reasons).
Requests that are not duly filled out or that do not have supporting documents or that are delivered after the established deadline, will be returned, and automatically denied.
The established deadlines are:
• 10 days before the absence in the case of pre-scheduled university exams.
• 1 business day after the absence for other reasons.
8. Where is Confucius Institute located?
We are located in San Pedro de Montes de Oca within the Rodrigo Facio University City, west side of the School of Architecture.
9. Can anyone apply for the UCR Scholarships?
No, these scholarships are to study the Mandarin language at the IC-UCR and are aimed at UCR students with a category 5 socioeconomic scholarship and UCR administrative and teaching staff. You can see the delivery dates of the documents and the specific requirements on our website: http://www.institutoconfucio.ucr.ac.cr/content/becas-de-cursos
10. Can anyone apply for the Confucius Scholarships?
To apply for the Confucius Scholarships, you must be a regular IC-UCR student and have passed the HSK and HSKK exams (written and oral), in addition to meeting certain age and health requirements imposed by CLEC.